Skin fungus on stomach
Fungal skin infections are caused by certain types of fungus, or excessive growth of normally harmless types. Fungal skin infections usually affect your skin because they live off keratin, a protein that makes up your skin, hair and nails. Most fungal skin infections can be treated effectively.
Types of fungal skin infections and the symptoms they can cause
Fungal skin infections are divided into groups, depending on what type of organism is involved. The full name depends on where the infection is found on your body. Some common fungal skin infections are listed below.
Most basic fungal skin infections are caused by dermatophytes — types of fungi that cause skin, nail and hair infections. They are very common. Dermatophyte infections include the following:
- Athlete's foot (tinea pedis and tinea manuum). Around one in four adults have athlete's foot (tinea pedis) at some time in their lives. It can be caused by a combination of fungi and bacteria, which makes your skin itchy, dry, scaly and red. Sometimes it causes blisters and cracked skin. It’s especially common between your toes. You often pick up athlete's foot from coming into contact with contaminated skin left behind in swimming pools, showers and saunas. If you don't wash your hands after touching a contaminated area, it can spread to your hands where it's known as tinea manuum. This mostly affects the creases on your palms and sides of your fingers.
- Nail infections. Onychomycosis is the name for any fungal nail infection. Tinea unguium (ringworm of your nails) is a common infection. Your nails become malformed, thickened and crumbly. Not all nails affected like this are caused by fungal infections, but it's a common cause. Toenail infections are commonly linked with athlete's foot. Your fingernails can be affected too.
- Ringworm of the groin (tinea cruris). This is often called 'jock itch' because it occurs in sportspeople and is common among young men. It causes an itchy, red rash in your groin and the surrounding area and is usually seen in men who’ve been sweating a lot. Often you’ll also have athlete's foot, as the infection can be spread by scratching your groin after scratching your infected feet.
- Ringworm on the body (tinea corporis). This often affects exposed areas of your body, such as your abdomen (tummy) or your limbs, causing red raised or flat patches and rings that can merge, grow and spread from the centre. The rings are scaly at the edge surrounding clear skin in the middle.
- Ringworm of the scalp (tinea capitis). This usually affects young children. It can cause hair loss and inflammation of the affected area. You can be infected by this fungus without developing any symptoms, and become a carrier instead, spreading the infection to others, sometimes for years.
Yeast infections include the following:
- Thrush. The fungus Candida albicans usually lives naturally in us and rarely causes problems. However, in certain situations, such as if you're ill, have poorly controlled diabetes, are pregnant or using antibiotics, the fungi multiply and can cause thrush symptoms.
Thrush can affect your mouth and tongue, areas lined with a mucus membrane such as your vagina, and other moist, folded skin. Thrush infection often looks like small white patches, which leave a red mark when rubbed off. In adults, vaginal thrush can cause itchiness and a thick, white discharge. Thrush sometimes affects men, causing a painful red rash on the head of the penis (glans). It also commonly affects newborn babies in the mouth (oral thrush) where the white patches may be mistaken for breast or formula milk. It isn't usually serious, but babies with thrush in their throats may stop feeding properly. Babies may also develop thrush in the nappy area.
- Intertrigo. This is also caused by the normally harmless fungus Candida albicans, which lives on your skin and in your digestive system. It affects areas where skin touches skin and the environment is warm and moist, such as your armpits, groin, and under heavy breasts or fat folds. It can cause itching, soreness, spots and scales, creating a white-yellow curd over the infected area.
- Pityriasis versicolor. This infection causes dark patches to form on pale or untanned skin and light patches on tanned or darker skin. Another name for this condition is tinea versicolor (versicolor means 'of various colours').
Selsun blue2007-12-05 13:00:19 by Selphie
My sister got brown spots on her stomach a few years ago, looked like a large, slightly discolored-brown patch. Not sure if what you have is similar, but her doctor told her it was a skin fungus (nothing harmful) and to apply selsun blue (the anti-dandruff shampoo) to the spots. The active ingredient (selenium sulfide) is an antifungal. Just apply, leave on there for a little while and then wash off with warm water. It can burn if you leave it on for too long. I am not a doctor and have no idea what your brown spots might be, but this might be worth a shot.
More..Remember the 'anthrax' in Iran?2011-06-04 20:32:16 by -kombucha-
KOMBUCHA TEA Side Effects & Safety
Kombucha tea may be UNSAFE for most adults. It can cause side effects including stomach problems, yeast infections, allergic reactions, yellow skin (jaundice), nausea, vomiting, head and neck pain, and death.
Kombucha tea, especially batches made at home where its hard to maintain a germ-free environment, can become contaminated with fungus (Aspergillus) and bacteria (including anthrax). In Iran, 20 people got anthrax infections from taking kombucha tea. This tea is particularly unsafe in people with weakened immune systems, such as people with HIV/AIDS, who are more likely to get infections
My journey to a fog free brain: Cutting out yeast and sugar — Yahoo! Lifestyle UK
On one visit I was diagnosed with a fungal skin rash, a fungal nail infection and thrush again only to have my theory of a "fungal" common thread dismissed.
Vetericyn All Animal Eye Wash Liquid, 4-Ounce Drops
Pet Products (Vetericyn)
Vetericyn All Animal Wound and Skin Care- 16-Ounce Trigger
Pet Products (Innovacyn, Inc.)
Vetericyn 8-Ounce Feline Wound and Skin Care, Pump
Pet Products (Vetericyn)